Monday, March 26, 2018

Being an observer and the power of association


One of my principles is the importance of observing the world with fresh eyes. A child's drawing doesn't have a rich history. I remember being intrigued by strong, emotional images. My personal history has influenced my work, but the process of forming and discovering ideas is more important. This unpredictable process allows me to feel the potency of wonder and fearlessness working together.

As an observer I'm not just identifying information or banalities. The colourful stream of activity and chemistry flows through me. This wouldn't be possible if I became a passive layabout who blindly stumbles upon something decent and immediately starts showing off.

Observation operates along with the evocative power of association: memories, different points of view, unconscious visions, poetic culminations, private echoes. My inner world is speaking and usually
I have to get out of the way. I wouldn't be where I am if I only had literal-minded references that reinforce what I already know.

Being an observer means that I don't want to limit myself too much.
I may be a loner but I'm not trying to shut myself off completely.
I believe in continuing productive experimentation.

No comments: