Thursday, April 15, 2021

My 20-year relationship with Suspiria (1977)

I first saw Dario Argento's Suspiria in 2000, when I was 15. Before that I loved horror films, reading about them and listening to the soundtracks. Suspiria was one of those creative experiences I was truly looking for. It was closer to what I had imagined in my fantasies.

You have to feel films like Suspiria. That is the most important thing.

Powerful images, amazing soundtrack, incredible atmosphere. You can't just write it down. There is something in the air.

Talking about the Berlin Wall sounds important, but it doesn't necessarily feel interesting. It doesn't make the film deeper or more important.

Let's say you're looking at a painting, and it's German expressionism with things from the First World War. The painting's full effect exists because of the way it feels, not just because of those references.

Films like Suspiria will always piss people off. The best 70s filmmakers were truly taking risks. They didn't have the safety net of expectations we have now. What they had was a playground for imagination.

No comments: