Thursday, January 7, 2021

Vengeful Semblance - White Trilogy Q&A - part 3 / 3

Q: What are your thoughts on fascism and black metal?

A: I oppose fascist idiocy. These are some of the dumbest people in metal. These idiots say they're the greatest, but I've never cared about them.

Q: How does Vengeful Semblance differ from your Rinta-Perälä albums?

A: The main difference is the distorted guitars and the use of percussion. A fully orchestral version without guitars would be slightly less percussive.

The main approach is not that different. I always want you to feel every note. Jean Sibelius said the same thing. This is not just background music you can forget immediately.

Q: You classify Vengeful Semblance as avant-garde black metal / classical. Could you use any other labels?

A: I don't care. I had these ideas in this medium. That's enough. Maybe you could call it heavy duty kettle metal.

Celtic Frost is one of my favourite bands. How do you classify them? Is it black, death, doom, thrash or heavy? I don't care. The vision and the spirit of innovation are always bigger and stronger than these specific labels. Music in the future will be harder to categorise and there's nothing wrong with that.

You can't just take different styles and glue them together. That's not musical discovery. It's not about the categories, it's about the ideas.

No comments: