Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Art questions September 2019


Q: Why did you choose black and white?

A: This wax drawing technique I developed is a monochrome technique. Black and white is not a strange choice in the world of drawing, but you have to understand it. To me it is mainly about shapes. Bringing out the strength and the energy is crucial. I have never had a list of black and white techniques and I never will. I simply believe in its possibilities.

When I was a teenager I discovered the black-and-white photography of Matti A. Pitkänen and the illustrations of Gustave Dore. Films like Eraserhead, Repulsion and Tetsuo furthered my interest in this visual approach. German expressionism finally urged me to start drawing.

Q: What would you do if you couldn't make music or drawings?

A: I've started writing short stories this year. There's lots of ideas and I'm trying to finish one of these stories.

I would also like to be a comedian who writes books, but that's never going to happen. It's a fantasy. I love language, older stand-up, Spike Milligan, Lord Buckley and Groucho Marx.

No comments: