Sunday, January 2, 2022

Art questions January 2022

Forming Moons (2019)

Q: Do you work in silence?

A: Almost never. Silence can be great if you're lucky enough to get it, but music in the background gives me an extra push. It has to be something I've heard before.

When I was shooting Forming Moons in my apartment, Mozart's Requiem, some Italian horror soundtracks and The Divine Punishment by Diamanda Galas were playing in the background. I had to eventually stop shooting when Galas was singing because the atmosphere became so overwhelming. I miss being in that dark room dedicated to painting.

Q: What is the essence of drawing?

A: Drawing is energy. If you can only draw neat lines, you have stick figure energy. When I'm drawing, my hand is making hundreds of marks on paper and the image is usually in my head.

If you are too careful and sensible, you will never make powerful drawings.

No comments: