Sunday, June 11, 2023

Artistic merit versus money and numbers

One of the worst things online is having a number next to your name. Number of followers or subscribers. The weird thing about being judged based on that number is that you can't even see all the numbers in one place. There is no "one number". We are not numbers, we are people who live in the real world.

I'm not on Youtube or Bandcamp to make money. I have a day job. People need to know what artistic merit really is. Money is just a bonus to me.

Why am I releasing ten albums this year? Because of the ideas and the creative opportunities. No record label on Earth would allow me to do all these things.

Art is a realm where ideas have a life of their own. That's what it is. Making money should never be the starting point if you want to be a real artist.

No one else has done these things the way I have. There's only one me.

No comments: