Monday, May 8, 2023

Art questions May 2023

 

Q: You mentioned some short stories you were writing four years ago. Have you finished any of them?

A: I haven't finished the first story I started writing, but I basically know the whole structure. It has to be written in Finnish first. I don't have that kind of confidence writing in English.

I've been reading old Japanese ghost stories and a Guy de Maupassant collection. Only reading is reading. The only audio books I have is The Book of Revelation and some poetry read by Robert Graves and T.S. Eliot. When you listen to an audio book, you don't have the same mechanism at work.

When I read short stories, I only know the title before I start reading. The internal mechanism in my mind makes me more of a participant. I cover the last lines with my hand so that I don't see them too early.

The different ways a short story can end are so fascinating.

No comments: