Thursday, December 31, 2020

Art questions January 2021

Q: What is in your sketchbooks?

A: Words, phrases and small, rough sketches. My drawings are A3 size and most of my notebooks are A6.

Q: What other skill would you like to have?

A: As an expressionist I wish I had a rubber face. Now it's more like Buster Keaton. And in Finland you can't tell if someone's face is frozen. It doesn't stand out.

Q: When does someone become an artist?

A: When your art makes people stop in a world of flashing images. When your art won't disappear.

The term artist is being used frivolously. People say, "I learned to draw in a week and now I'm an artist." Then they smell their own armpit and say, "Yeah, that's artist perspiration, right there."

Drawing is in my DNA, but I was 28 when I developed my drawing technique. Before that I was just good at drawing. I made music for about 15 years and had no problem taking it seriously. Drawing was right under my nose but first I had to take art seriously.

Going through the whole timeline is easy. Explaining it is impossible.

There's so much you can't explain. Atmosphere and the feelings I get are always at the top. In my case, information and facts in art are of lower importance.

I don't trust people who love analysis more than anything else.

No comments: