Monday, July 1, 2019

Vengeful Semblance questions


How would you describe this album and the sound?

The album is mainly about mental illness, the power of the mind and thoughts. There's mystique and urgency in the atmosphere. This is what I would like to hear right now. I wanted to do something creative with orchestral percussion and this type of music.

The truth is that anyone can put orchestral percussion and distorted guitars together. It's the compositions that are important. And the difference between the songs. I had the basic idea for this album for a long time, but it was just the first step. I wrote down the difference between the songs because I wanted to explore the possibilities. I made this album because I couldn't find it.

The guitars are the main reason why I made this album under a different name. I probably won't be using organs or strings on Vengeful Semblance releases.

Why black metal?

I've been listening to black metal since I was 12 and I realised early on that it benefits from distortion. Vengeful Semblance doesn't remind me of Finnish black metal very much. The early Norwegian black metal had an effective experimental quality and my favourite bands are Thorns and Ved Buens Ende.

Vengeful Semblance is not a nostalgic project. I'm doing things I couldn't have dreamed of in the 1990s. My relationship with this genre is more complex now. Many of my favourite works are dark, strange and beautiful at the same time.

My music is instrumental, but there's more repetition in Vengeful Semblance and more simplicity in the arrangements. Like my previous works the entire album was written on keyboard and then programmed. I also recorded distorted tracks.

Is there going to be another album?

Right now I have one song for my 8th album, but it's going to be classical. My first 6 classical albums were released under the name Rinta-Perälä. For Vengeful Semblance I've only got some song titles. There will be another album.

I had the basic idea for this project for 5 years. In May 2019 the ideas finally possessed me completely and the songs wanted to come out.

- Rinta-Perälä, June 2019.

No comments: