Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Vengeful Semblance Trilogy questions


Earlier Vengeful Semblance questions, June 2019

How did you record and write these albums (7th, 8th and 9th)?

My music is written on keyboard and then programmed. For Vengeful Semblance I additionally recorded experimental sounds and distorted tracks (Fuzz Face pedal and a 15-watt amp). "Notes in Ash Grey" was recorded with a 5-watt amp. I plugged a portable recorder directly into my guitar and recorded clean notes. I used those notes to create guitar tracks.

The Vengeful Semblance Trilogy is quite similar to my other albums. The biggest difference is in the arrangements and instrumentation.

I haven't written this much music since I was a teenager. Some of these songs were vaguely inspired by my old demos from the early 2000s. "Those Who Breathe Into This Night" is the closest to the original demo.

How long have you been listening to metal?

I was 9 in 1994 and my brother was 12. I started listening to a radio show called Metal Union (Metalliliitto) and I remember several metal releases from that year. Nativity in Black - Tribute to Black Sabbath was one of them. In 1997 I was making tapes, listening to a lot of black metal and my classmate bought a compilation called Blackend.

I have always liked classical, soundtracks and folk music, and some of the metal bands made music that was reminiscent of similar depth. There was something in black metal that I found interesting, but the relationship has slightly changed over the years.

My favourite metal bands made the music they couldn't find. Their songs shaped the genre.  People weren't sure what they were listening to. I miss that.

I did all this because of the ideas, not the style, genre or scene.

No comments: